Technology has put the business in the digital age. The consumption of digital contents across globe is increasing on a daily basis. Digital marketing has become a vital part of today’s business, and companies have started recognizing its importance.
To define digital marketing in simple terms, it is the promotion of brands, products or services of a company with the help of digital media. What makes digital marketing different from traditional marketing is that it involves use of channels or methods that enables a business or organization to analyze marketing campaigns and understand what is working and what is not, on a real time basis. The channels which is more closely associated with digital marketing is internet, others include wireless text messaging, mobile apps, digital television, radio channels etc.
Why Digital Marketing Is Important?
Digital marketing is important not only because of its rapid growth, but also because it is essentially the future of marketing. All the traditional marketing methods will soon disappear; digital marketing will replace them all together. Digital media is so persuasive that consumers can have access to information any time and place they want it.
Some advantages of digital marketing over traditional marketing are:
- Digital marketing is more affordable compared to the traditional marketing strategies. An e-mail or social media campaign can transmit same message for less money than a TV-ad or newspaper advertisement. Also social media campaigns can reach a wider audience anywhere in the world.
- Easier to track the results. Digital marketing helps to track the result of a campaign on a real time basis, which helps to plan the strategies more effectively and make changes instantly.
- The number of consumers. Traditional marketing has lost a huge amount of consumers. Even people have started to access their newspaper through i-pads or tablets. A recent study of UK National Statics shows that more than 82% of UK adults went online in the first three months of 2011.
Digital Marketing – Encouraging Facts and Figures
The Global Digital Statistics provides the following facts which encourage digital marketing:
• 2.5 Billion People are online.
• 1.8 Billions are on social networks.
• Top social networks have added 135 million more users in 2013.
• Facebook now has 1.184 Billion Users
• There are 6.5 Billion mobile subscriptions globally.
• Around 40% of the world population has an internet connection today. In 1995, it was less than 1%. The number of internet users has increased tenfold from 1999 to 2013. The first billion was reached in 2005, the second billion in 2010. The third billion will be reached by the end of 2014.
Future Trends to watch
■-Email with social sharing will boost click-through rates more than 150 percent.
■ Social media marketing budgets will double over the next five years.
■ Pay Per Click budgets will increase more than 70 percent.
■ More than 70 percent of press releases will include images.
The following graph shows the number of internet users across the globe in the last quarter of 2013.
(Figures are in millions)
The above figure shows that Asia and Europe stands top in the list and others are on an upcoming stage. Undoubtedly the users are increasing day by day which increases the scope of digital marketing every day.
As traditional marketing strategies are going nowhere, the scope of digital marketing is increasing regularly. It is expected that in 2014 visually attractive content, contests, facts and figures are going to be on the rise. In the recent times, all the major MNC’s like Infosys, TCS, IBM, Jellyfish etc are hiring digital marketing specialists to boost their marketing strategies. It is now clear that the digital age has arrived and it’s time for those who have not yet adapted to the new way of marketing, to open themselves to the new way of interaction.